Free Consultations phone630-402-0185

205 1/2 West State Street, Suite C, Geneva, IL 60134

29 S. Webster Street, Suite 290B, Naperville, IL 60540

Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in nonpayment of child support

kane county child support lawyerIn Illinois, just like every state in the country, there are laws that say that each parent has a duty of support owed to their child. This duty extends to providing for the “reasonable and necessary physical, mental and emotional health needs of the child.” The Illinois statute defines a child as one who is under 18 years of age and any child 19 years or younger who is still attending high school.

When a marriage, civil union, or relationship ends, or paternity has been established, the court has the authority to order one parent to pay the other parent child support. Which parent pays child support depends on how the allocation of parental responsibilities and parenting time is established (formerly referred to as child custody). Unfortunately, not all parents adhere to these child support orders and either fail to pay according to the ordered payment schedule or refuse to pay any support at all.

In these circumstances, what are the legal options for the parent who is not receiving child support payments?

Back to Top